10 Things to Know About Cholesterol
Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in your blood that you need for your body to function properly. However, if you have too much cholesterol you can end up developing fatty deposits in your blood cells.
The more of these deposits you have, the harder it is for your blood to flow through your body which can lead to several health problems. It’s even possible for these deposits to break, causing a clot that can lead to heart attack, stroke, or death.Here are 10 things you should know about cholesterol:
- You need cholesterol to build healthy cells.
- There are two types of cholesterol, ‘good’ and ‘bad.’ High levels of the bad kind increase your risk of heart disease.
- Exercise can raise your good cholesterol levels.
- One out of three adults has high cholesterol.
- Smoking increases your risk for high cholesterol along with many other illnesses.
- The amount of people with high cholesterol is worryingly on the rise.
- High cholesterol can be genetic, meaning if your family has a history of it you’re more likely to have it.
- Children can even have high cholesterol.
- Men are more likely to have high cholesterol than women.
- Women’s cholesterol levels tend to fluctuate over time.
High Cholesterol Prevention
There are many simple changes you can make that can reduce your risk for high cholesterol or lower your cholesterol. This includes eating foods that lower cholesterol, exercising regularly, quitting smoking, cutting back on alcohol, and avoiding foods high in sodium and trans fat.
- Whole grains
- Vegetable oils
- Full fat dairy
- Processed foods and meats
- Fried food
- Processed sugar
- Red meat
High Cholesterol Treatment
Often high cholesterol presents with no symptoms and you may not even know your levels are too high unless you go for a general checkup with your GP. Once diagnosed, your doctor will most likely suggest that you make lifestyle changes to lower your cholesterol.
They may also recommend you take medications to manage your cholesterol. Take control of your cholesterol and buy Atorvastatin tablets, Gemfibrozil, Ciprofibrate tablets, Colestid, and Cholestyramine online in the UK from Pharmacy Planet.