People also ask
What is Pravastatin?
Pravastatin is a medication for high cholesterol that helps in lowering bad cholesterol such as LDL or triglycerides and increases levels of good cholesterol or HDL in the blood. The medicine is often used in conjunction with some lifestyle changes such as a proper diet, exercise and more to reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes.
How Does Pravastatin Work?
Cholesterol can accumulate along the walls of arteries and cause blockages that reduce blood flow to different parts of the body such as the heart and the brain. This can lead to serious medical conditions such as heart disease, stroke and heart attack.
Pravastatin is a type of drug called statin or HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. Statins can reduce the amount of cholesterol made by the liver. The reduced levels of cholesterol in the body prevents it from building up along the walls of the arteries and causing decreased blood flow and oxygen supply to different vital organs.
What Are the Benefits of Taking Pravastatin?
Pravastatin lowers LDL and triglycerides, and increases HDL to maintain healthy levels of cholesterol in the body. Some benefits of Pravastatin include:
- Prevents heart diseases
- Reduces risk of strokes and heart attacks
- Prevents chest pains or angina
How Do I Use Pravastatin?
Pravastatin is an oral tablet that should be swallowed with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food, preferably at the same time every day. The dosage of Pravastatin depends upon your doctor’s prescription and directions.
Do not lower or increase your dose of Pravastatin without your doctor’s directions. Your doctor may gradually increase your dose over a course of 4 weeks. This medicine should be taken regularly even if you feel well since most people with high cholesterol may not face any discomfort. Pair it with the lifestyle changes recommended by your doctor for maximum benefit. You may start seeing the full benefits of this medicine after up to 4 weeks.
If you are on other cholesterol lowering drugs, take this medicine at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after the other medications. Such medications can prevent Pravastatin’s full absorption.
The dosage of Pravastatin is based on several factors such as your medical condition, age, weight, and more. All of this will be determined by your doctor and their prescription.
Typical dosage of Pravastatin for adults is 40 mg once per day. Your doctor may increase your dosage to 80mg if needed. For children the ages 14 to 17, the maximum dosage recommended is 40 mg once per day. For younger children ages 8 to 13 years, the recommended dosage is lowered to 20 mg.
Pravastatin Precautions and Side Effects
Pravastatin has certain side effects on some individuals. These side effects may not occur at all or may be nonserious in most cases.
Some common side effects of Pravastatin include:
- muscle pain
- common cold
While these side effects are quite common, you should contact your doctor if they seem to worsen or persist overtime.
Pravastatin also has some rare but more serious side effects that occur in some individuals. These include:
- Muscle problems such as: muscle weakness, muscle tenderness and muscle pain
- Liver Problems such as loss of appetite, pain in upper abdomen, dark coloured urine, tiredness, yellow skin or yellow whites of the eyes
You should contact your doctor right away if you feel any of the more serious symptoms of Pravastatin.
Since every individual reacts to medicines differently, this is not a complete list of all possible side effects. If you notice other side effects not mentioned above, contact your pharmacist or physician for more information.
Before taking Pravastatin, you should:
- Tell your doctor about all past allergies especially if you are allergic to Pravastatin or other inactive ingredients in the medicine.
- Inform your doctor about all prescription and non-prescription medicines you have been taking including over the counter medication like vitamins and supplements. Tell your doctor if you are taking antifungals or antacids to avoid medicinal interactions.
- Discuss your extensive medical history with your doctor especially if you have or have had liver disease. Your doctor may order some tests to check if your liver is in good condition before recommending Pravastatin.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning for a baby or currently breast-feeding an infant. The medicine may harm the foetus and should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women. You may have to discuss the risks of Pravastatin on pregnancy and breastfeeding with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor about your alcohol intake especially if you have more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day, are above 65 years of age, have a history of liver disease and low blood pressure.
- Discuss how to safely consume alcoholic beverages on Pravastatin as alcohol can increase the risk of serious side effects.
While taking Pravastatin you should follow some precautions such as:
- Inform your doctor or dentist about your Pravastatin intake before any surgical procedure.
- Tell your doctor immediately you become pregnant or want to breastfeed while on Pravastatin. Pravastatin may not be suitable for foetuses and may harm nursing infants. Also, contact your doctor to discuss suitable forms of birth control to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages when you are on this medicine. Consuming alcohol daily can increase your risk of liver problems when combined with Pravastatin.
- Pravastatin is known for causing muscle damage, which may have symptoms such as muscle pain or muscle breakdown. If you are above the age of 65, have kidney issues or hypothyroidism, your risk of muscle damage may increase. Contact your doctor right away, if you feel any muscle pain or soreness while taking Pravastatin.
High-risk groups for Pravastatin include:
- People with kidney or liver problems
- People with hyperthyroidism
- Seniors above the age of 65
- People who consume alcohol daily
Pravastatin is indicated in the treatment of:
How Do I Buy Pravastatin Online?
You can conveniently buy Pravastatin tablets online in the UK from [this website] after filling out a prescription form. This medication should be taken exactly as directed by your physician. Any misuse of the drug can have potentially harmful effects on your health.