Can Asthma During Pregnancy Affect My Baby?
Over 12% of the UK population have been diagnosed with Asthma. Around 13,000/100,000 of those diagnosed are female. Asthma risk factors are higher for women than men overall, so it’s important to stay on top of your asthma during pregnancy. Medicines, including inhalers, long acting and combined relievers, theophylline and steroid (prednisolone) tablets are safe in pregnancy and will not harm your baby. If you don’t take your medicines, asthma symptoms become worse and if not controlled you risk lacking oxygen to your baby. At Pharmacy Planet, we carry pregnancy safe inhalers such as Salbutamol, Ventolin and Clenil Inhalers.
Staying Well with Asthma During Pregnancy
Lowering your risk of symptoms and an asthma attack during pregnancy is very important and here are some tips on how:
- GP Visit – discuss with your GP your current inhaler technique, create a written asthma action plan, and keep in close contact with your GP – especially if you notice any additional symptoms or an increase of symptoms during your pregnancy.
- Medication – maintain your medication regime as prescribed, and review regularly. Your baby is more at risk if you stop them and start experiencing symptoms or if you have an asthma attack.
- Midwives/OB – make sure your asthma is properly documented with all pre and post birth professionals. Include it in your birthing and antenatal plans.
- Stay healthy – wear masks, sanitise, have your flu jab, and decrease risk of chest infections. The flu jab is safe during pregnancy.
- Smoking - If you smoke, stop or reduce smoking. Avoid breathing in second hand Support is available to help you quit.
Asthma Medications During Pregnancy and Birthing
Whilst asthma medications are not only safe, but beneficial during pregnancy, steroids need careful monitoring during labour and birth. It is important to tell your birthing team you’ve been taking them in the weeks leading up to your due date. It is very important that you continue to receive these medicines during labour. The worst affect of asthma in pregnancy would be an asthma attack and whilst very rare during labour, you want to take extra care.
For all of your asthma medication needs you can request Salbutamol, Ventolin and Clenil Inhalers online in the UK from our trusted pharmacy and have it delivered to your doorstep. You will have to complete an assessment so the doctors online can review your request for a continuous supply. Please visit our website for more information https://www.Pharmacyplanet.com