How to Distinguish Between Different Types of Acne?
You’re about to go out for a night on the town but when you check your reflection one last time in the mirror, you notice a big red bump on your face. You thought your days of spots were over but here you are as an adult with a breakout.
What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that happens when your hair follicles become clogged with oil, bacteria, and/or dead skin cells. It usually appears on the face, chest, shoulders, and upper back.
Teenagers and adolescents are most often afflicted with acne, but it can happen to people of any age. It can be caused by excess oil production, hormonal changes, stress, and some cosmetics. Acne can be uncomfortable, make the sufferer feel self-conscious, and if it’s severe enough it may leave scars behind.Types of Acne
- Whiteheads: Clogged hair follicles that form a closed white bump.
- Blackheads: Open bumps caused by clogged hair follicles that look black because of exposure to air.
- Pustules: Pimples containing pus that look like whiteheads surrounded by rings of red or pink.
- Papules: Small inflamed pink or red pimples.
- Cysts: Large pus-filled pimples that can leave scars.
- Nodules: Large, painful and hard pimples deep within the skin.
- Rosacea: A skin condition that causes swollen, pus-filled bumps on the face that look like acne.
How to Treat Acne
One of the first steps in combating acne is practising good skincare. Use products that are labelled non-comedogenic and remove all cosmetics before bed. Wash your face with gentle cleansers but don’t overwash your face as this can dry out your skin. Try not to touch your face too much as the oils on your fingers can clog your pores.
Many people use acne treatment to reduce and prevent breakouts. The most common type of acne medication is topical, meaning it is applied directly to the affected area. Certain antibiotics have proved effective as well since they help kill acne-causing bacteria.
- Rosex Gel and Cream: Rozex treats redness and inflammation caused by rosacea and reduces the appearance of acne-like outbreaks.
- Skinoren: Skinoren contains azelaic acid, a substance that clears blocked pores and kills the bacteria on your skin that causes acne.
- Lymecycline: An oral antibiotic for severe acne that stops acne-causing bacteria.