People also ask
What is Amlodipine?
Amlodipine belongs to a group of medicines known as calcium channel blockers.
Amlodipine Uses also include being utilised to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) in adults and children at least 6 years old. Lowering blood pressure can lower the risk of a stroke or heart attack.
How does it work?
Amlodipine pills are used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or a certain type of chest pain called angina, to which a rare type of Prinzmetal's angina or variant angina belongs.
In patients with high blood pressure, this medicine works by relaxing the blood vessels so that the blood passes through them more easily. In patients with angina, amlodipine improves the arrival of blood to the heart muscle, which therefore receives more oxygen and, as a result, chest pain is prevented. This medication does not provide immediate relief from chest pain due to angina.
What are the benefits of taking it?
The benefits of Amlodipine happen by inhibition of calcium ion entry from the group of dihydropyridines (slow channel blocker or calcium ion antagonist) and prevents the passage of calcium ions through the cell membrane in cardiac muscle and smooth muscle.
The antihypertensive mechanism of action of amlodipine is due to a direct relaxing effect on vascular smooth muscle. The exact mechanism by which amlodipine relieves angina has not been fully determined, but amlodipine reduces the total ischemic load by the following two actions:
Amlodipine dilates the peripheral arterioles, thus reducing total peripheral resistance (afterload), against which the heart works. As the heart rate remains stable, the energy consumption of the myocardium is reduced, as well as the oxygen supply needs of the heart.
The mechanism of action of amlodipine also probably involves the dilation of the great coronary arteries, as well as of the coronary arterioles, both in normal and ischemic areas. This dilation increases the supply of oxygen to the myocardium in patients with a spasm of the coronary arteries (variant or Prinzmetal angina).
How do I use it and its dosage?
Always use amlodipine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. If in doubt, consult your doctor or pharmacist again.
The recommended starting dose is 5 mg of amlodipine, once daily. The dose is often increased to 10 mg of amlodipine once daily.
You can take this medicine before or after meals. It should be taken at the same time each day, with a glass of water. Do not take Amlodipine with grapefruit juice.
Use in children and adolescents
For children and adolescents (6-17 years of age), the recommended starting dose is typically 2.5 mg daily. The maximum recommended dose is 5 mg daily.
Amlodipine 2.5 mg is currently not available and the 2.5 mg dose cannot be obtained with amlodipine 5 mg tablets as these tablets are not manufactured to be divided equally. The slot is for splitting the tablet only if you find it difficult to swallow it whole.
It is important not to interrupt the administration of the tablets. Do not wait for the tablets to run out to see your doctor.
Side effects & precautions
Like all medicines, Amlodipine IP 5mg tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
See your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following side effects after taking this medicine.
- Sudden wheezing when breathing (sudden wheezing), chest pain, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the eyelids, face or lips
- Swelling of the tongue and throat causing great difficulty in breathing
- Serious skin reactions including severe skin rash, hives, redness of the skin all over the body, severe itching, blistering, peeling and inflammation of the skin, inflammation of the mucous membranes (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis ) or other allergic reactions
- Heart attack, abnormal heartbeat
- Inflammation of the pancreas that can cause severe abdominal pain and back pain accompanied by a great feeling of discomfort.
The following very common side effect has been reported. If it causes problems or lasts more than a week, see your doctor.
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 patients)
- Headache, dizziness, drowsiness (especially at the beginning of treatment)
- Palpitations (feeling the heartbeat), suffocation
- Abdominal pain, feeling unwell (nausea)
- Altered intestinal habit, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion
- Tiredness, weakness
- Visual disturbances, double vision
- Muscle cramps
- Swollen ankles
Other side effects have been reported and are listed below.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 patients)
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression, insomnia
- Tremor, taste disturbances, fainting
- Numbness or tingling sensation in the extremities, loss of pain sensation
- Ringing in the ears
- Decreased blood pressure
- Sneezing / runny nose caused by inflammation of the lining of the nose (rhinitis)
- Dry mouth, vomiting (feeling sick)
- Hair loss, increased sweating, itchy skin, red spots on the skin, skin discoloration
- Disorder of urination, increased need to urinate at night, increased number of times to urinate
- Impossibility of obtaining an erection, discomfort or increase of the breasts in men
- Pain, feeling unwell
- Pain in muscles or joints, back pain
- Weight gain or loss
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 patients)
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 patients)
- Decreased white blood cell number, decreased blood platelets which can cause easy bleeding or unusual bruising
- Excess blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- A nerve disorder that can cause muscle weakness, tingling, or numbness
- Inflammation of the gums
- Abdominal bloating (gastritis)
- Abnormal liver function, inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), yellowing of the skin (jaundice), increased liver enzymes that may have an effect on some medical tests
- Increased muscle tension
- Inflammation of the blood vessels, often with skin rashes
- Light sensitivity
- Disorders combining stiffness, tremor and/or movement disorders
Buying Amlodipine online.
You can buy this high Blood pressure Medicine online through one of the UK’s leading online pharmacies, Pharmacy Planet. It's easy and convenient. You will need to fill out a short assessment and the item will be delivered directly to your door. If you want to buy amlodipine Tablets online, use Pharmacy Planet, a UK pharmacy you can trust.