People also ask
What is Candesartan?
Candesartan cilexetil is a so-called angiotensin-2 receptor antagonist. This substance acts on the blood vessels to relax and dilate. In this way blood pressure is reduced. This also makes it easier for the heart to allow blood to flow through the body. Candesartan cilexetil is used, among other things, to treat high blood pressure. It can also be prescribed in adults who have heart failure due to weakened heart muscle.
How does it work?
Angiotensin II is the main vasoactive hormone of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and is involved in the pathophysiology of hypertension, heart failure, and other cardiovascular disorders. It is also involved in the pathogenesis of the lesion and organic hypertrophy. The main physiological effects of angiotensin II, such as vasoconstriction, stimulation of aldosterone production, regulation of salt and water homeostasis, and stimulation of cell growth, are mediated by the type 1 receptor (AT1).
Candesartan is a suitable prodrug for oral use. It is rapidly converted to the active substance, candesartan, by hydrolysis of the ester during absorption through the gastrointestinal tract. Candesartan is an ARA-II, selective for AT1 receptors, to which it binds strongly and from which it slowly dissociates. It does not present agonist activity.
Candesartan does not inhibit ACE, which converts angiotensin I to angiotensin II and breaks down bradykinin. There is no effect on ACE, nor potentiation of bradykinin or substance P.
What are the benefits of taking it?
Candesartan (rINN) is an Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonist used primarily for the treatment of hypertension.
This medicine can be used to:
- the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) in adult patients and children and adolescents from 6 to <18 years of age,
- Treatment in adult patients with heart failure with reduced heart muscle function when ACE inhibitors cannot be used or added to ACE inhibitors when symptoms persist despite treatment and mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists cannot be used ( ARM) (ACE inhibitors and ARMs are a group of medicines used to treat heart failure).
How do I use it and its dosage?
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. If in doubt, consult your doctor or pharmacist again. It is important that you take candesartan every day.
You can take candesartan with or without food.
Swallow the tablet with the help of a glass of water.
Try to take the tablets at the same time every day. This will make it easier for you to remember to take them.
Division of tablets:
If necessary, the tablet can be divided into two equal doses. Place the tablet break line up on a smooth, hard surface (eg, a table or plate). Place your index fingers (or thumbs) on either side of the line and press simultaneously briefly and hard.
High blood pressure:
the recommended dose of candesartan is 8 mg once a day. Your doctor may increase this dose to 16 mg once a day and then 32 mg once a day depending on your blood pressure response, In some patients, such as those with liver problems, kidney problems, or those who have recently lost body fluids, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or because they are taking diuretics, the doctor may prescribe a lower starting dose, In some black patients, the response to this type of medication may be decreased when given as a single treatment, so they may need a higher dose.
Use in children and adolescents with high blood pressure
Children from 6 to <18 years of age:
The recommended starting dose is 4 mg once a day.
For patients weighing <50 kg: In patients whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled, your doctor may decide that the dose needs to be increased to a maximum of 8 mg once a day.
For patients weighing ≥ 50 kg: In patients whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled, your doctor may decide that the dose needs to be increased to 8 mg once a day or to 16 mg once a day.
the recommended starting dose of candesartan is 4 mg once daily. Your doctor may increase this dose, doubling the dose at intervals of at least 2 weeks, up to a dose of 32 mg once a day. Candesartan can be taken together with other medicines for heart failure. Your doctor will decide which treatment is best for you.
Side effects & precautions
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. However, it is important that you know about these possible side effects.
Stop taking Candesartan and contact your doctor immediately if you have any of the following allergic reactions:
difficulty breathing, with or without swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat, swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat that may cause difficulty swallowing severe itchy skin (with rash).
Candesartan can cause a reduction in the number of white blood cells. Your resistance to infection may decrease, and you may feel tired, have an infection or fever. Contact your doctor if this happens to you. Your doctor may do a blood test from time to time to check that candesartan is not affecting your blood (agranulocytosis).
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- feeling dizzy
- Respiratory infection
- low blood pressure. This can make you dizzy or faint
- changes in blood test results
- an increase in blood potassium levels, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. If this situation is severe you will notice tiredness, weakness, irregular heartbeat or tingling
- Effects on how your kidneys work, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. In very rare cases, kidney failure may occur.
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people):
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat
- decreased red blood cells, or white blood cells. You may feel tired, or have an infection or fever
- skin rash, rash (urticaria)
- back pain, joint and muscle pain
- changes in how your liver is working, including inflammation of the liver (hepatitis). You may notice tiredness, yellowing of the skin, whites of the eyes, and flu-like symptoms.
- changes in blood test results
- reduction of the amount of sodium in the blood. If it is severe, you may feel weakness, loss of energy or muscle cramps
Frequency not known (cannot be estimated from the available data)
Additional side effects in children and adolescents
In children treated for high blood pressure, side effects appear to be similar to those seen in adults but occur more often. Sore throat is a very common side effect in children but has not been reported in adults, and a runny nose, fever, and increased heart rate are common in children but have not been reported in adults.
Buying Candesartan Tablets online.
You can buy these blood pressure tablets online through one of the UK’s leading online pharmacies, Pharmacy Planet. It's easy and convenient. You will need to fill out a short assessment and the item will be delivered directly to your door. If you want to buy Candesartan tablets online, use Pharmacy Planet, a UK pharmacy you can trust.