A bitter taste in mouth, sore throat, difficulty swallowing and stomach pain are the common symptoms for heartburn. Many people experiencing heartburn cannot sleep at night peacefully because of these symptoms.
So, many of us experience heartburn and the more critical condition known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) every day. Research shows that nighttime heartburn affects nearly four out of five people suffering from indigestion, disturbed sleep and diminishing their ability to function the next day.
Here are a few helpful tips to manage heartburn-
- Prevent heartburn by avoiding or at least limiting acidic foods, such as grapefruit, tomatoes, oranges, or vinegar.
- If spicy foods are giving you heartburn, then cut back on peppers or chillies.
- Don't lie down for at least two to three hours after you eat. When you are sitting up, gravity helps to drain the food and stomach acid downwards.
- Enjoy non-fatty foods and lean meats. Greasy foods such as cheeseburgers and french fries can trigger heartburn.
- Want to avoid sudden triggers? Then, cut back on chocolate, mint, citrus, vinegar, tomatoes, pepper and mustard.
- Avoid drinks that can trigger reflux, such as drinks with caffeine, alcohol, and carbonated soft drinks.
- Size matters: Eat meals in small portions. With this, you can avoid triggering GERD symptoms.
- Do you usually enjoy an after-work drink? Remember, alcohol can relax the esophageal sphincter and worsen your GERD.
- Are you crazy about colas? It is time to cut back. Colas can be linked to your acid reflux and GERD symptoms.
- Keep heartburn at bay: Don't eat in a hurry! Try putting your fork down between the bites.
- Avoid snacking during bedtime. Eating just before your bedtime can trigger heartburn symptoms.
- Reduce your nighttime heartburn risk by eating meals two to three hours before sleep.
To alleviate the heartburn symptoms, Pharmacy Planet has the best quality prescription heartburn tablets. In an industry dominated by big box stores and chain pharmacies, Pharmacy Planet is dedicated to providing a better and personalised solution for our patients.