What Medications Can I Take To Delay My Period?
Whether you’re going on a holiday, a work trip, or may need to delay your period for some other reason, there are ways to do so. Even though there's no guaranteed way to delay your period, you can find a few period delay tablets online in the UK that may help.
For the most part, there are two best ways to delay your period:
- Period delay tablets - such as Norethisterone tablets
- Hormonal contraception - such as the pill
For How Long Can I Delay My Period?
Period delay tablets can be used to stop periods for as long as 30 days at a time.
However, this may lead to irregular periods in the long run. In case that’s a problem you’re experiencing, there are some period delay treatments you can avail.
What Is Norethisterone And How Does It Work?
Norethisterone is one of the most commonly used period delay tablets in the UK. It consists of the hormone progesterone.
Among other things, Progesterone is used by your body to control your period cycles. By taking these Progesterone tablets, you can trick your body into delaying your next period.
Norethisterone works by preventing your progesterone levels from dropping after one cycle, which usually triggers the next period. It can also help protect from getting pregnant. However, that doesn’t mean that you should rely on it solely as a way to avoid pregnancy.
Other Ways To Delay Your Period
Another way to delay your period is by using a few different types of hormonal contraceptives, such as:
- The combined contraceptive pill – to delay your period over an extended time, but you may still experience light bleeding (spotting).
- The mini pill – to stop periods over the long term, but you might still experience light bleeding (spotting).
- The hormonal coil – to delay your period but may take a few months before it takes effect.
- The contraceptive injection – almost half of the women who use this injection have said it to be effective to stop or delay having their period.
In the end, you should always consult your doctor or gynecologist before committing to taking a period delay medication. They will be able to recommend what will work best for you.